JUNHO SHIM, Ph.D.
Department of Computer Science
Sookmyung Women's University
Cheongpa-ro 47-gil 100 (Chungpa-dong 2ga), Yongsan-gu
Seoul, 04310, Rep. of Korea
RESEARCH & TEACHING AREAS:
· Research areas: Database Systems, Big data, Data Warehouses, E-biz Infrastructure, and the Web.
· Teaching courses: Lecture materials are now served at Snowboard in Sookmyung Community.
21003183 Database Design and Query Languages
21003184 Database Programming
Graduate: Topics in Database Systems, Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery
Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA
Ph.D., Computer Science – December 1998
Thesis: An Intelligent Cache Manager in Data Warehousing Environment and
its Application to the Web Caching
Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
M.S., Computer Science – February 1994
Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
B.S., Computer Science & Statistics – February 1990
Sookmyung Women’s University, Division of Computer Science, Seoul, Korea –Professor
March 2001 – Present
2001.3-2004.3 Assistant Prof. 2004.4-2009.2 Associate Prof. 2009.3- Professor
Georgetown University, Dept of Computer Science, Washington DC, USA –Visiting Faculty/Affiliate Researcher
August 2011 - July 2012
University of Denver, Dept of Computer Science, Denver, Colorado, USA –Visiting Scholar
August 2007 - July 2008
Drexel University, College of Information Science and Technology, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA –Assistant Professor
November 1999 - March 2001
Computer Associates International, R&D Division, Long Island, New York, USA – Technical Staff
February 1999 – November 1999
Participated in the design and development of an e-commerce infrastructure: Jasmine ii
NEC USA, Computer & Communication Research Laboratory, San Jose, California, USA – Intern
June 1997 – August 1997, March 1998 – April 1998
Participated in the design and development of a multimedia-enabled Web search engine: WebDB
Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA – Research Assistant
September 1994 – June 1998
Conducted research on the area of database system, data warehouses, and World Wide Web.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (FULL LIST)
· “Efficient Data Stream Clustering with Sliding Windows based on Locality-Sensitive Hashing”, Jonghem Youn, Junho Shim, and Sang-goo Lee, IEEE Access, Vol. 6(1), p63757-63776, DOI:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2877138, ISSN: 2169-3536, Oct 2018, IEEE.
· “Fast and Scalable Vector Similarity Joins with MapReduce”, Byoungju Yang, Hyun Joon Kim, Junho Shim, Dongjoo Lee, and Sang-goo Lee, Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, Vol. 46, No. 3, p473-497, June 2016, Springer.
· “Tridex: A Lightweight Triple Index for Relational Database-Based Semantic Web Data Management”, Seungseok Kang, Junho Shim, and Sang-goo Lee, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 40, No. 9, p3421-3431, July 2013, Elsevier.
· “An Efficient Similarity Join Algorithm with Cosine Similarity Predicate”, Dongjoo Lee, Junho Shim, and Sang-goo Lee, 21st International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA 2010), August 30-Sep 3, Spain / Lecture Notes in Computer Science No 6262, pp 422-436, August 2010, Springer-Verlag.
· “Building an Operational Product Ontology System”, Taehee Lee, Ig-hoon Lee, Suekyung Lee, Sang-goo Lee, Dongkyu Kim, Jonghoon Chun, Hyunja Lee, and Junho Shim, Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, Vol. 5(1), p 16-28, January 2006, Elsevier.
· “A Unified Approach for Software Policy Modeling: Incorporating Implementation into a Modeling Methodology”, Junho Shim, Seungjin Lee, and Chisu Wu, 22nd International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER2003) / Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 2813, p118-130, October 2003, Springer-Verlag.
· “WebDB: A System for Querying Semistructured Data on the Web”, Wen-Syan Li, Junho Shim, and K. Selçuk Candan, Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, Vol. 13(1), p3-33, February 2002, Academic Press.
· “A Scalable yet Transparent Infrastructure for Distributed Applications: Core Design of Jasmine ii Framework”, Kin Leung, Junho Shim, Dmitri Tcherevik, and Anders Vinberg, Proc. of the 8th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems, p31-36, June 2001, IEEE Computer Society.
· “Proxy Cache Algorithms: Design, Implementation and Performance”, Junho Shim, Peter Scheuermann, and Radek Vingralek, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 11(4), p549-562, July/August 1999, IEEE Computer Society.
· “WATCHMAN: A Data Warehouse Intelligent Cache Manager,” Peter Scheuermann, Junho Shim, and Radek Vingralek, Proc. of the 22nd International Conference on Very Large Databases, p51-62, September 1996, Morgan Kaufmann.
SELECTED ACTIVITIES: (FULL LIST)
· Organizing Committee member (Finance Co-chair) of the 31st IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2015), Seoul, Korea, April 13-17, 2015.
· Organizing Committee (local) member (Marketing Co-chair) of the 23rd International World Wide Web (WWW 2014) Conference, April 7-11, 2014, Seoul, Korea.
· Editor-in-chief, The Journal of Societies for e-Business Studies, 한국전자거래학회지 편집위원장, 전자거래학회, 2012.3-2017.
· Program Committee member of the 2016, 2014 and 2013 ACM SIGMOD Demonstration Program
· Program Committee member of the 17th, 16th, 15th and 14th International Conference on Mobile Data Management (IEEE MDM2016, MDM2015, MDM2014, MDM 2013)
· Program Committee member of the 20th, 17th International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications (DASFAA 2015, DASFAA 2012)
· Program Committee member of the 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th International Workshop on Mobile Commerce and Services (WMCS 2006, WMCS 2009, WMCS 2010, WMCS 2011)
· Publication Chair of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th International Workshop on Data Engineering Issues in E-Commerce and Services (DEECS 2006, DEECS 2007, DEECS 2009) (in conjunction with CEC 2006, ACM EC 2007, and CEC 2009, respectively)
· Program Committee member (Publicity Co-chair) of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th IEEE International Workshop on E-Activity (IEEE-IWEA 2008, IEEE-IWEA 2009, IEEE-IWEA 2010, IWEA 2012)
· Program Co-chair of the VLDB2006 Ph.D. Workshop (in conjunction with the 32nd International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB2006))
· Program Chair of the International Workshop on Data Engineering Issues in E-Commerce (DEEC 2005) (in conjunction with the 21st International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2005)).
· Program Committee member of the 8th and 9th International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM’1999 and CIKM’2000).
· Program Committee member of ACM 3rd, 4th, and 5th International Workshops on Data Warehousing and OLAP (DOLAP’1999, DOLAP’2000, and DOLAP’2001).
Some photos of me: link